Adventures in Knitting

Monday 24 March 2008

No knitting!

For the last three weeks or so my hands have been hurting. It feels to me like they are inflamed. I've been to my GP, my bloodwork is fine, so I just have to wait and see. I immediately stopped knitting when the hands started hurting. You use your hands in almost everything you do, I am not taking any risks!


Life without knitting is both empty and relaxing. I can get really engrossed by a project and at the same time I have a large list of future projects. This makes me very keen on making progress in my knitting. I am very good at making myself work hard and apparently I am equally good at making myself knit a lot. Not sure this is a good thing...


Over the last few weeks I did manage to finish my project for the one skein swap organized in the Dutch Crafters Group over on Ravelry. I just had to do the edging. I blocked it yesterday evening. It looked kind of meh when it got off the needles, but after blocking it looked really nice. Of course, I didn't take any pictures. I was in a hurry to send it off. I hope the recipient likes it.


I also participated in the tiny sock swap organized by Emily. My sock is on its way to Kim in Colorado. I have a cute picture of it, but I will post that after I hear that she has received it.


There is also a good side to no knitting. No knitting means time for reading! Last year I got a lot of books for Christmas and my birthday and I also like to buy second-hand books. I don't read as much as I used to because my head is often tired after a day at work. But, when there is no knitting, why not go to bed a little earlier and read a bit? I am currently reading Saturday by Ian McEwan, which I am enjoying immensely. Two weeks ago I finished reading A short history of tractors in Ukrainian, by Marina Lewycka, which I really liked.


No knitting also means fantasizing about other crafts. I really want to do some small crochet stuff, especially after seeing this gorgeous necklace. I also really want to learn how to spin. I never touched the spindle kit I bought. I think I was too busy knitting sweaters this winter. But, until my hands heal, I will stick to dreaming.


I think no post should be without a picture, so I leave you with this:



I really love the amaryllis. To see more gorgeous ones visit Jane Brocket!

No comments: